25 March, 2013

Holding a one off market stall at Glebe | My experience and some tips!

I held a casual market stall at Glebe last Saturday. It's a really good way to empty your closet and make decent money at the same time.



My friend and I had some almost disasters of our own, so I thought I would share some advice with you if you ever decided to hold a stall.


 Make sure to prepay a stall beforehand. You will have to go to the market. Otherwise, if you choose to show up on the day to get a stall, you will do lots of waiting around in the morning and you don't get as much time to set up your stall. And there's a slim chance you might not get one.

If you are doing this with a friend, have a system in place to make it easier to divide the money. We put a tag on all the clothes with the price and an initial, so when people bought the clothes, we'd just rip off the tag on the day and kept them in our cash box, to remember who sold what.

Too much stuff to sell! This doesn't even include the bags in the back seat.
 TEST YOUR CLOTHES RACKS BEFOREHAND! Two of ours collapsed. But the $10 Ikea racks are very good.

Have your clothes already on hangers so when you get there, all you have to do is put them up on the rack. Trust me - the morning will be chaotic. We were busy hanging everything up and people were already coming into our stall and digging through our boxes!

Price your items, bearing in mind that you would likely have to lower them. A lot of people will haggle. Also, don't expect to make much on expensive designer stuff. You will be better off listing them on eBay.

 Don't forget a mirror for your stall! We were lucky to have a stall next to these sweet girls who let us use their mirror. Also, it will be a long day! Don't forget water, sunscreen, a hat and a little seat.

Don't overestimate how small the stall will be - the space is pretty darn small. We had four racks and a table and it was squishy. At one point, we had a queue of people waiting just to look at our stall.

One very messy table! We were in a rush in the morning.
 Those are just my tips on holding a casual stall at Glebe markets. I hope you find it helpful. We made almost a couple of hundred each, and it was fun, I highly recommend it.

Are you going to hold a market stall soon?
If you have any more questions, ask away!
Or if you have, what was your experience like?
I'd like to know, as I might do this again!

Also - random, but there was a girl who purchased three rings from me for $2. She initially only wanted one, and I told her she could have it for 50 cents, but when she decided to take the set, I said $2 without thinking. If you read this, I'm so sorry I robbed you of fifty cents! :(


3 comments:

  1. I never haggle at markets. I'm clearly losing! >.< I could be haggling down a Cacharel jumper from the opshop stall in the corner of Glebe Markets...next time next time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this post! It's very useful as I plan to flog off my clothes at a market. What did you use to tag the clothes?

    Tweety T

    p.s Let me know how you went with Ben Nye. You'll love Acmuse/Scotty's Makeup. It's very dangerous for your wallet as everything's soo cheap compared to department store brands. ; )

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Joan - Definitely haggle! Especially in the afternoon. I get so tired of seeing people try on my clothes but not buying. I had these Sportsgirl boots for sale, and at least 20 girls picked it up, eyeing it and half of them even tried it on. By the afternoon, when the last girl tried it on, if she haggled with me, I would've been glad to! She was happy with the price, though, and bought them.

    @Tweety T - we just used gift ribbons haha, the curling one? And we tied it around the clothes tag or pinned it. We just used paper for the actual tag. Thanks for the recc, again! When I am free from all my essays, I am definitely going out there to have a look. Did not know they sell Ben Nye!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I read every single one and will make sure to reply to your questions!