05 June, 2013

Bad Beauty Beginnings | Benefit's High Beam

Here we go, again, another installment of Bad Beauty Beginnings! In case you don't know what this series is, I talk about all the horrible mistakes I made when I started out with make up! (Because, don't deny it, we've all been there...)

Up for today's post was my intial experience with using Benefit's High Beam!


(I actually wrote about this on my old blog. Something about Glee and Quinn sleeping with Puck because she felt fat that day and how I felt bad about my exam so I bought this.)

I was so excited about using this but to be honest, I didn't really have any idea how to use it!
I watched a Youtube video, thought I was absolutely pro, slathered it on, then used a cheapy eyeshadow brush on sale from Sportsgirl to rub it in.


It comes in this bottle and this funny nail polish brush. If there is one trick to applying your make up that I should've learnt early on, it is don't rely on my dim bedroom lights! I should double check under brighter light. 

And also keep practicing on your technique or finding out what works for you, don't just assume that because you've copied a Youtube beauty blogger's method, it has worked out the first time. (Clearly, I'm a goose.)

So, maybe after I had worn it a handful of times, I went out for lunch with a friend. She asked me why I had silver lines across my face.

I learnt my lesson, ditched using a brush and blended it in with a finger instead, and always angle my face so the light hits my upper cheek and I can make sure that it's rubbed into my skin.

I put this on by dotting it on my face in a V shape, from under my eyebrow, to a good two centimetres from the outer corner of my eye, and ending it down at the top of my cheek.

I know some people like to put it along the middle of their nose, inner corners and Cupid's bow, too.

Here's a swatch - it's a pearly, silvery pink shimmer. On my Asian skin tones, I wished I bought the more yellow toned Moon Beam instead. I think that would have suited me better.

Nevertheless, it's a very nice product. I find that it sits on the skin very well and lasts throughout the day.

Have you ever not blended in a product right?
Did someone point it out to you?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I read every single one and will make sure to reply to your questions!